Rabbi Compensation and Benefit Studies
Colin Dodds - Debit Credit Theory (Accounting Rap Song)
Update: American Taxpayer Relief Act
American Taxpayer Relief Act addresses the Fiscal Cliff
Tax Planning Tips
Demystifying the Health Care Tax Credits
2014 Mileage Rates
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2014, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:
- 56.0 cents per mile for business miles driven
- 23.5 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
- 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
- 23.5 cents per mile for moving
- IRS Identifies Organizations that Have Lost Tax-Exempt Status
- Here is a helpful link
National Council of Nonprofits has resources posted on its website:
- Review Non-Profits 990 and other data:
- Economic Research Institute
- Learn the latest on the tax credit for businesses who now pay for health insurance
Information on Arizona Health Insurance Premium Tax Credit -
Application for Certificate of Eligibility for the Health Insurance Premium Tax Credit - Small Business Only -
Example Accounting and Cash Policy
- YouTube Wants Non-Profits To Make Amazing Videos
- Most of you are involved with nonprofits in one way or another. The following article came out recently in Mashable, and if you are interested in doing videos for your organizations, you might be interested in the grants You Tube is offering. It's just an idea. Maybe not this year, but how about next? You never know!
Memorandum: Gaming & Raffles
Automatic Revocation of Nonprofits' Tax-Exempt Status
by Guidestar (pdf)
Board of Directors Guide to Form 990
Hire Act Information
- Download the tax form and information here.
Documentation of Hire Act (Word doc)
IRS Form W-11 (pdf)
Raffles in Arizona
IRS agents will be using this form in the coming year to evaluate Good Governance of nonprofit organizations
IRS Non-Profit application fees are changing! (see pdf file)
Poker Tournaments, Charitable Gambling, Social Gambling (casino nights) for nonprofits in AZ
Where's my Refund?
Federal Filing Requirements for Exempt Organizations
More Policies (Word documents)
- RANDOM.ORG offers true random numbers to anyone on the Internet. The
randomness comes from atmospheric noise, which for many purposes is better
than the pseudo-random number algorithms typically used in computer
programs. People use RANDOM.ORG for holding draws, lotteries and
sweepstakes, to drive games and gambling sites, for scientific
applications and for art and music. The service has been operating since
1998 and was built and is being maintained by Mads Haahr who is a Lecturer
in the School of Computer Science and Statistics at Trinity College,
Dublin in Ireland.
- Audit rules are changing..
- Sandi on our team has provided some helpful hints..
Care & Training of a Successful Audit (pdf)
Questions for the Auditors (pdf)
Employee vs. Contractor
- Form W-9
- This is a form issued to independent contractors and
attorneys (even if incorporated) so that you can complete their form 1099 at year
- Employer ID Number
- You can now complete an online application for your employer ID number
(form ss-4) using the link above.
- Investment Policy (Word doc)
- Useful template for organizational investment policy. Complements of Rebecca Kenyon
- Gift Acceptance Policy (Word doc)
- This gift acceptance policy template will provide guidelines to representatives of who may be involved in the acceptance of gifts. Complements of Rebecca Kenyon
- Virtual Office Documentation
Virtual CPA Office (Word document)
Leveraging with Technology - The impetus is a commitment to reducing costs while improving service, communications and quality of life.
Running a Virtual Office (Power Point presentation)
- Sample Whistleblower Policy
- Provided by: Jeffrey S. Tenenbaum, Esq.
...this policy aims to provide an avenue for employees to raise concerns and reassurance that they will be protected from reprisals or victimization for whistleblowing...
- Sample Whistleblower Tracking Report (Word Document)
- A key defense against fraud occurring in an organization is the availability of a means for employees and other constituents to anonymously report suspected wrongdoing (whistleblowing).
- Sample Request for Proposal Letter for CPA Services
- This tool contains sample language that may be used by an organization requesting a proposal letter from qualified CPA firms when seeking a new service provider. As such, the sample letter may be subject to audit committee review or discussion, if an audit committee exists.
- Stay Exempt
- This is a new irs site and resource center to help
nonprofits retain their status and understand the rules.
- A large resource of information for Tax, Business and Financial strategies.
- Residential Energy Credits
- Residential Energy Credits for this tax year such as insulation, windows/doors, solar, air conditioning, etc.
- Standards and Best Practices - Courtesy of the fine folks at ECFA and Dan Busby in particular
- Independent Contractor vs. Employee (pdf document)
- "IRS reminds businesses to to classify workers correctly." June, 2006
A great piece from the IRS with a test on how to classify the new person on your team.
Go File Room
Technology tips and tools
- Conflict of Interest Policy (Word document)
- This is a sample document. If you have any questions, please let us know.
(Microsoft Word document)
Audit Committee Toolkit for nonprofits
Read Carolyn's biography
Now you can search right here for your favorite books, music and video!
Talk about a full service CPA firm, huh?
Drugstore on the net!
Articles published by Carolyn Sechler, CPA
Check out www.cpafinder.com
for a CPA near you. Of course, if you're in Arizona, the ONLY firm you should look for is Sechler, CPA!
IT MAY BE NEWS, BUT WE GOTTA SAY IT:
This information is made available for your non-commercial use. Carolyn Sechler retains all copyrights to the text, graphics, and animations in these pages. Feel free to use the material for your personal use. Please make reference to the origin of any material that you have obtained from this site. Furthermore, this material is purely INFORMATIONAL, and should NOT be considered accounting advice or an accounting opinion expressed by Carolyn Sechler for your specific conditions. Please consult a professional before making any decisions based on this material.