The 990 and 990-EZ governance section specifically asks if the organization has the first four policies shown in the list below. The IRS does not require these policies but it could be a red flag to donors without them.
Out of all the policies below, the Conflict of Interest Policy is always applicable and every nonprofit should have one in place.
• Sample Conflict of Interest Policy
• Sample Whistleblower Policy
• Sample Document Retention & Destruction Policy
• Sample Determining Compensation Policy
• Sample Accountable Plan Policy
• Sample Gift Acceptance Policy
These samples are general in nature and not intended to be fit your specific organization. Adjust any of the elements in these samples to meet your nonprofit organization’s needs. By downloading these samples, you take full responsibility for their implementation. Please contact us or an attorney if you need any guidance.